Reviving a tired bathroom doesn’t necessarily require an entire remodel. It is possible to add style and character by making a few inexpensive updates. Not only will the updates transform your space, they can add value to your home. From simple cosmetic changes such as paint or new fixtures, to bigger changes such as replacing the glass in the shower, here are some ways to update your space.
- Change the color. Just like decor, paint colors go out of style. Brighten your space with a fresh coat of paint in a trendy neutral color, or a bold, daring color. When selecting a color, paint a small area and see if you like it during the daylight and at night.
- Replace the fixtures. Updating the smaller details such as light fixtures, sink faucets, towel racks, and drawer pulls, can have a big impact. Look for inspiration online, in magazines, and in model homes.
- Update the mirror. Whether you have a large mirror that spans the size of the counter or a small mirror that doesn’t quite cut it, remove the mirror before you paint and replace it with something more functional and aesthetically pleasing. You can also frame builder-style mirrors for a more custom look.
- Paint the cabinets. If your bathroom cabinets are dark and dingy, consider adding a fresh coat of white paint to update them. White cabinets will immediately brighten up the whole space and make the room look larger.
- Add pull-out shelving. Organize and maximize the space under your sink with ShelfGenie pull-out shelving. ShelfGenie storage solutions provide a neat, accessible place for every item in your bathroom. From toiletries to cleaning supplies, you can keep everything tucked away and off the counters.
- Freshen caulk and grout. Grimy caulk and grout can make any bathroom look unsightly. Purchase a good grout cleaner or replace the grout if necessary. Add a clean line of caulk around the tub and sink to freshen things up.
- Buy new towels and a bath mat. Invest in a few sets of quality towels that you can periodically change out. Fluffy, new towels, will give your bathroom a spa-like look and feel.
- Update the glass around the shower. If your shower door is framed in brass or another dated material, consider replacing it with a frameless door for a clean and minimalistic design. If you have a shower curtain and tub, replace the curtain and liner to complement the towels and bath mat.
When updating your bathroom, keep in mind that you don’t have to buy brand new to improve the look. You may be able to repurpose some items in your home to achieve your desired results. Don’t forget to redesign with the environment in mind when possible. Low-flow sinks, shower heads, and toilets will help conserve water and save you money.