Whether you do a load everyday, or spend one full day chipping away at a mountain of clothing, laundry is a chore we all have to tackle. While it may not be your favorite thing to do, a refresh of your space can make for a much more enjoyable experience. In lieu of a pricey overhaul, here are some easy and affordable ways to add functionality and cheer to your laundry room.
- Organize detergent and cleaning supplies. Discard items you no longer use and replenish with your favorite supplies. Store supplies on a shelf or in a cabinet where they are easily accessible.
- Add a space to fold clothing. Create one over your side-by-side washer and dryer or against an opposite wall, if there's room. Take clothes out of the dryer and fold them right away to stay on top of your chores and minimize wrinkles.
- Install Shelf Genie shelving system. Glide-out shelving is the perfect solution to organize and maximize the space in your laundry room. Store detergent, bleach, fabric softener, and other cleaning supplies on convenient pull-out shelving and free up counter space.
- Add a hanging rod to dry clothing. There are always delicate items that should not go in the dryer. A hanging rod is an easy and convenient solution to drying these items. Purchase a few quality hangers to keep clothes looking their best when drying.
- Use bins and baskets. A series of matching bins for whites, lights, and darks, will keep laundry organized and will cut down on clutter. House smaller items in baskets to keep everything neat.
- Keep a laundry care chart on-hand. To best care for your wardrobe, tape a laundry care chart to the inside of a nearby cabinet. Refer to it when you need to pre-treat stains, choose a washer cycle, or select the right water temperature.
- Upgrade the lighting. If your laundry room is dark or windowless, lighting is important. Under-cabinet lighting or a large overhead fixture brightens the space and helps you spot stains on items before you wash them.
- Liven up the space with color. Go bold with a colorful paint or incorporate a playful wallpaper design in your laundry room. Frame a fun piece of artwork, family photo, or a drawing from your child to personalize your space.
- Paint your cabinets. If your cabinets are outdated, a fresh coat of paint will brighten up the room. Update the hardware to finish it off.