Thinking about reorganizing your kitchen? *Here are two stats that should make you pause:
- National Association of Professional Organizers found that we spend more than a year of our lives (on average) looking for missing items around the home
- According to the National Soap & Detergent Association, removing clutter from your home reduces up to 40% of average housework
Reorganizing Your Kitchen—It’s All About Your PrioritiesAs our good people at ShelfGenie of Seattle put it, “Priorities will determine everything you do”.Before you dive into any ambitious reorganization, it’s worth asking yourself: what do you look for in a dream kitchen? For some, the ideal looks like something out of Iron Chef—with the full kit of professional-grade pans and knives, oils, and spices, all laid out with industrial efficiency wherever there is space to be made. For others, it’s all about minimalism, and the simple joy of a clear countertop. Most of us fall somewhere in between. This is why it’s so important to run through a typical day in your life and rank your own priorities. Here’s a good way to do that:
- List everything you’d like to be able to do in your kitchen (think entertaining, or baking a cake, for example)
- Assign each item on your list a number 1-5: items with a number 1 are essential to you...items with a number 5 are less important.
- Now, imagine if you could only have the things you ranked from 1-3. Would that be enough? Do you need to rethink your kitchen priorities?