A complete kitchen remodel is costly and time consuming. With some creativity and targeted spending, you can get the look and feel of a new kitchen without blowing your budget. One of the biggest impacts you can make to update your kitchen is the cabinets. Instead of ripping out the old ones (which are probably in decent shape anyway), give them a facelift. Here are some great ways to breathe new life into your kitchen cabinets.
- Paint them. Maybe your cabinets are dark and dingy, or just out of style. A few cans of chalk paint will brighten your space in no time. You can hire a reputable painter to do this, or DIY. If you choose to tackle this project, you will need to clean the surface and allow it to dry completely. Then apply one generous coat of paint. A sealant should be used to protect the paint, instead of wax, since it's easier to clean.
- Add molding or trim to the doors. Molding or trim will give your cabinets a custom look. You can attach molding with short nails or a strong adhesive. If you are adding the molding to your painted cabinets, be sure to paint the trim to match before attaching.
- Add height. Newer kitchens often feature cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling. If you want this look without removing your old cabinets, simply install painted pieces of wood above your cabinets to match. You can also buy thin cabinets that will fit in the area and paint everything to match.
- Add feet to the base. The small details will make your cabinets pop! Take a walk through the molding section of your home improvement store. Look for chair legs or bun feet and have them cut to fit your cabinets. Paint to match your cabinets before installing.
- Replace hardware. Outdated hardware can show your kitchen's age. Consider replacing with it with something current. A variety of hardware styles can be found at your local home improvement store or specialty store.
- Under cabinet lighting. Adding some LED lights under your cabinets will not only update the look, but it makes it much easier to see what you're doing on your counters.
- Install a ShelfGenie system. Convert your cabinets into more practical and usable space with Glide-Out shelving from ShelfGenie. You'll have better access to frequently used items, additional storage space, and the peace of mind that comes with better organization. Call for a free estimate today!